Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What we'll do

We'll keep thinking big.

We'll not only keep hoping-hoping-hoping, we'll quit wishing away time. We'll hatch escape plans and shake up our routines. We'll hold out for a good thing.

And we'll stop incessantly checking our email--we'll silence our cell phones and shut our computers. Instead, we'll take long walks and breathe in the lilacs. We'll tell stories. We'll dance and grow strong with push-ups. We'll trade sucking in our stomachs for big, belly laughs.

We'll broadcast wildflower seeds and eat crunchy apples. And we'll keep maturing. We'll resist turning disappointment into tragedy. We'll exercise curiosity, ask people questions and forgive them when they don't ask us.

That's what we'll do.

9 comments:

Sara said...

This is awesome. It is so easy to get sucked into the day to day clamoring and noise. Thanks for the reminder. And I love crunchy apples. :)

lauren h. said...

yes we will :-) but you forgot to add "watch hot tub time machine" ?!?

Unknown said...

I love this! Especially the lilacs and the laugh trade.

Liam said...

You are speaking my language. But please keep reading your emails cuz there might be one from me!

Jenna said...

:)

Aanna Greer said...

This is a beautiful piece. What was your inspiration?

(I found your blog via a friend's blog and I'm glad I did.)

R.W. Shipshape said...

I'm so glad you left a comment! It's always nice to have feedback from the mysterious readers that float around my blog.

Thinking about these things (beauty, simplicity, growth) puts me back in touch with how I want to be and what I want to offer. These are ideas that move in and out of my thoughts and occasionally beg to organized and put on paper. Essentially, "What We'll Do" is a a vision statement for how I want to live.

And I'm glad you liked it! You should write one for yourself. I have plans on writing more--probably when settling, old ways, self-consciousness and technology overtake me and I need to revisit how I want to be. It's amazing how quickly one can forget!

Angela said...

That sounds great.

Kate said...

I love every word.