Wednesday, July 18, 2012

my thoughts on drawing


Looseness is fun.  Color is fun.  Quickly responding is fun.  
But sometimes I get lazy.  I get so loose, so colorful and so impulsive that I become sloppy.   

I forget my labor of love involves labor.  
The labor of being present.  
The labor of being engaged.  
The unceasing LABOR of being fearless.  

I'm reminded of Don, my figure model throughout college.  I knew his face well.  So well, in fact, I could render him without even looking at him.  Sort of.  The drawings were never quite right because I didn't look at my source.

Great things, including great drawings, involve paying attention.  So when my false sense of ease sneaks in, I return to the basics.  Pencil.  Paper.  Observed values, proportions and contours.  I engage.  I resolve.  I decide.
And then somehow, I get better.

-KD

1 comment:

Liam said...

Your flair is awesome. Your presence makes it even more awesome because it brings light to your color.